Victor (Viktor) Abramovich Zalgaller (Hebrew: ויקטור אבּרמוביץ' זלגלר; Russian: Виктор Абрамович Залгаллер; born on December 25, 1920 in Parfino, Novgorod Oblast, Russia) is a mathematician in the fields of geometry and optimization. He is best known for his results on convex polyhedra, linear and dynamic programming, isoperimetry, and differential geometry.
Victor Zalgaller did his early work under direction of A.D. Alexandrov and Leonid Kantorovich. He wrote joint monographs with both of them. His later monograph Geometric Inequalities (joint with Yu. Burago) is still the main reference in the field.
Zalgaller lived in Saint Petersburg most of his life, having studied and worked at the Leningrad State University and the Steklov Institute of Mathematics (Saint Petersburg branch). In 1999 he emigrated to Israel.
* V.A. Aleksandrov, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), Russian Mathematical Surveys, Vol. 56 (2001), 1013–1014 (see here for a Russian version).
* Yu.D. Burago, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), J. Math. Sci. (N. Y.) J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 129–132 (see here for a Russian version).
* M.Z. Solomyak, A few words about Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller, J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 138–140.
* List of papers of V.A. Zalgaller, available here (mostly in Russian).
* Zalgaller, Victor; Burago, Yuri (1988-Feb). Geometric Inequalities. Springer Verlag, 356pp. ISBN 3540136150.
* Victor Zalgaller at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
* Intrinsic Geometry of Surfaces — book by A.D Alexandrov and V.A. Zalgaller (AMS Online Book, originally translated in 1967).
* Personal war memoir (in Russian).
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License