Aiyalam Parameswaran Balachandran
Aiyalam Parameswaran Balachandran is an Indian theoretical physicist. He is the Joel Dorman Steele Professor of Physics at Syracuse University and is a Fellow of the American Physical Society. He is known for pioneering topological methods in quantum physics, including the theory of skyrmions, and for his more recent work in noncommutative geometry. In 1990, Syracuse University honored him with a Chancellor's Citation for Exceptional Academic Achievement, and in 1991 he won the university's William Wasserstrom Prize for Outstanding Graduate Teaching.
Balachandran did his undergraduate studies in Madras Christian College and got his PhD under guidance of Prof. Alladi Ramakrishnan from Madras University in 1962.
1. A. P. Balachandran, G. Marmo, B. S. Skagerstam, Classical Topology and Quantum States, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. , Singapore, 1991. ISBN 9-81020-329-2 --ISBN 9-81020-330-6(pbk.)
2. A. P. Balachandran, Gauge Symmetries and Fibre Bundles : Applications to Particle Dynamics, Springer Verlag, 1983. ISBN 0-38712-724-0.
3. A. P. Balachandran (Editor), A. P. Balachandran, E. Ercolessi, G. Morandi, A.M. Srivastava, Hubbard Model and Anyon Superconductivity, World Scientific Publishing Co. Inc. 1990. ISBN 9-81020-348-9.
4. A. P. Balachandran, S. Kurkcuoglu, S. Vaidya, Lectures on Fuzzy and Fuzzy Susy Physics, World Scientific Publishing Co. Inc. 2007. ISBN 9-81270-466-3.
5. A. P. Balachandran, G.C. Trahern, Lectures on Group Theory for Physicists, Brill Academic Publishing, 1986. ISBN 8-87088-088-5.
6. A. P. Balachandran (Editor), Hubbard Model and Anyon Superconductivity, World Scientific Publishing Co. Inc. 1991. ISBN 9-81020-349-7.
1. ^ Physics at Syracuse
2. ^ Faces and places, CERN Courier, September 2003, describing a celebration of Balachandran's 65th birthday held at a meeting on Spacetime and Fundamental Interactions: Quantum Aspects near Naples, Italy, in May 2003.
3. ^ The Chancellor's Citation, Syracuse University.
4. ^ William Wasserstrom Prize for Outstanding Graduate Teaching, Syracuse University.